On December 17, 2021, CICTAR announced a collaboration with PIRC, attracting significant media attention for the filing of a shareholder proposal with Amazon.com, Inc. by two investors as the first action of this initiative.
The proposal, which called on Amazon to implement the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Tax Standard, was filed by the Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF) – the UK’s largest local government pension fund – and the Oblate International Pastoral Investment Trust.
As the first resolution of its kind to be filed in the United States, the shareholder action attracted attention throughout a range of news and industry publications across Europe and North America.
We’ve compiled this coverage below. For more information about the initiative please contact Katie Hepworth, Responsible Tax Lead, PIRC.
- Investment & Pensions Europe: Asset owners call on Amazon for tax practices, risks transparency
- This Is Money: Amazon shareholders demand tech giant be more transparent about global tax affairs and implement global standard
- Nasdaq: Amazon shareholders call for tax disclosures – adviser
- Reuters: Investors file shareholder proposal for Amazon tax disclosures-PIRC
- Environmental Finance: Amazon faces first US tax transparency shareholder filing
- US News: Amazon Shareholders Call for Tax Disclosures – Adviser
- Bloomberg: PIRC Supports Holder Proposal Filing on Amazon Tax Disclosure
- The Globe and Mail: Two Amazon shareholders call on company to disclose global tax practices and risks to investors, adviser says